The Grammar 6 Handbook follows on from The Grammar 5 Handbook and provides revision, consolidation and extension of spelling and grammar rules covered in The Phonics and The Grammar 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 Handbooks.
The Grammar 6 Handbook contains 36 spelling and 36 grammar and punctuation lessons for a full year of teaching children aged 10-11 years. The lessons continue to build upon the knowledge and skills that children have been taught in previous years. There are detailed lesson plans for the teacher to follow, along with a photocopiable sheet that children can complete in class or as homework. Topics covered within the handbook include:
– Prefixes & suffixes, in particular numerical – Silent letters: bt, te, th
– New spelling patterns/rules: ough – Schwas -ity & -ety
– More alternatives: they, great, ballet, fete, straight for /ai/
– New parts of speech: for example, countable and uncountable nouns, gerunds and modal verbs and imperatives.
– Further punctuation: using semi colons and colons or using a comma after a fronted adverbial
– Developing a greater understanding of sentence structure and learning to recognise indirect objects, subject complements and passive agents.
– Introducing children to literary devices such as alliteration, learning to meaning of idioms and distinguishing between formal and informal writing.
The Grammar 6 Handbook Preview :